Custom Search

Monday, April 27, 2009

Giggs Wins PFA Award for the First Time

Share

Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs wins this years PFA Player of the Year for the first time in is his 12 years career. He had twice won the Young Player of the Year award but now it increases his amount of trophies with United.

"It's right up there, with personal accolades it's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players", Giggs said.

"I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies, I won the young player award twice, but this is the big one."

Giggs also gave a special thanks to his club manager Sir Alex Ferguson for the career he has had.

"The manager has been massive in my career from when I first met him when I was 13," Giggs said.

"That's over 20 years and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better.

"I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams, it's not even worth thinking about what it would have been like without the manager," he added.

Giggs, whose current contract expires at the end of next season, said of his future: "As long as I'm getting picked, enjoying it and injury-free, I'll carry on as long as I can.

"At 35 you can't look too far into the distance, you just can't."

This years PFA team of the year also include 6 Manchester United players. Others are 2 from Liverpool, 1 from Portsmouth, 1 from Aston Villa and 1 from Chelsea.

PFA Team of the Year:

Edwin van der Sar (Man Utd)
Glen Johnson (Portsmouth)
Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd)
Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd) 
Patrice Evra (Man Utd) 
Ashley Young (Aston Villa)
 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
 Ryan Giggs (Man Utd) 
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd) 
Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea)
 Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

No comments: